Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 12... What I believe...

There are a lot of things I believe, but I think I'll just do a list of sorts, kind of like a Top Ten of sorts! :-)

1. I believe in God. I love Jesus and wish I were a more faithful servant than I am. I have given my life to Christ, and look forward to spending my eternity in Heaven.

2. I think that people who abuse or hurt animals through neglect or physical violence deserve harsher punishments. Animals are so amazing, and when I hear of animals being treated poorly it breaks my heart, and makes me wish I was alone in a room with the perpetrator.

3. I don't believe that you need to birth a child in order for you to be a parent. In fact, the entire idea of feeling more connected to your child through DNA seems a little silly to me. Loving and caring for a child is far more important than physically birthing a child. No judgment on those who birth their own children, I just don't get the "one of our own, and one through adoption" phrase. Um, what???

4. I am an American and I think I live in the best country in the world. Sure, we have our issues, but I am so proud and happy to be an American.

5. I believe that everyone should learn to swim. Despite the safety considerations of not being able to swim, I would hate for anyone to miss the joy of swimming. When I dive in the water, I instantly become relaxed and just feel at peace. Plus, there is no greater joy than floating on a raft or tube on a hot, sunny day!

6. I believe that we all have an obligation to give back something to society, especially those of us who have experienced good fortune in our lives. I am not saying only those who have extra money need to give back, we can give of our time, energy, effort, etc. Those are just as important, and there are a lot of great organizations and charities out there who need the help.

7. I believe that people who claim not to be cat-lovers have never owned a cat. They are amazing animals and don't just sit around waiting to scratch and bite you. They are incredibly intelligent, and very aware of your emotional and physical health. They can be your best companions through anything.

8. I believe the internet is an amazing tool for connecting people, but worry that it de-sensitizes us and makes people do and say really mean things because they don't have to physically look someone in the eye or live with the results of their actions.

9. I believe that we should all strive to live outside our comfort zone. Sure, living in your bubble is easy and pleasant, but only when you go beyond that bubble can you effect actual change on the world.

10. I believe that everyone needs to take a week every year for themselves. No work, no internet, no phone... just time with family to relax. I went years without time off and was miserable. It's amazing what a week off will do for the other 51 weeks in the year.

I guess that's a start to what believe...

No comments:

Post a Comment