Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Animal Transporting

So, a couple of weeks ago, I signed up for animal transporting. Basically, I get to help "at-risk" animals move from high-kill shelters to rescues in other states. Since I really can't do fostering (I am already over my max for cats), I thought this would be a neat way to get involved in helping animals who need a second chance. This past Saturday I took part in my first transport. It was awesome!

The next two photos are of Courage (#1) and Ronan (#2) when they were pulled from their shelters in North Carolina. Ronan was set to be euthanized the following day.

My leg of the journey was from Corbin, KY to Dry Ridge, KY. First, I met up with Ronan and Courage (transported by Connie and her friend) in Corbin.

Connie giving the dogs one last drink. Courage is the dog that looks like she is smiling at the camera.

Me, getting a few snuggles in with Courage and Ronan before we took off. Courage is in the red collar and Ronan is in the blue collar.

Both dogs were super excited to get into the car. They loved exploring their new setting and looking out the window.

I love both of their tongues in this picture, especially Ronan's super long tongue!

Ronan looks like he is smiling as he looks out the window!

Lil miss, aka Courage, settles into her spot very easily!

Even though Ronan probably had 20 pounds on Courage, he still allowed her to sit on the backseat while he settled in on the floor... I think he just wanted to be closer to the action (me).

Eventually the excitement was too much for Ronan and he fell asleep just like Courage did. He slept with his head on my armrest so I could occasionally scratch his head and snout.

Here I am saying goodbye to Courage and Ronan in Dry Ridge, KY. They continued on their way with Amy.

Ultimately, Courage and Ronan traveled two days from North Carolina to Illinois. It was an amazing experience watching them move from certain death to life with a family. It was great to be part of this experience and I can't wait to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment