Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 23-Favorite vacation

I've had lots of "favorite" vacations, but I really, really enjoyed my vacation last year, so I will talk about that one here. So, my mom called me in June and asked if I could get a week off over the 4th of July to go up north to my grandparents' cottage. (FYI: up north is a small town called Big Bay, just outside of Marquette MI) My grandma passed away in 2009 and we needed to get the cottage ready to sell, so we planned to mix in some cleaning and packing with some good ol' fashioned vacationing. It was an amazing week and we had loads of fun. It was bittersweet because some of my mom's siblings thought that they would go together and purchase the cottage so that everyone could enjoy it, but instead one of my mom's brothers decided he "didn't like to share," and wouldn't agree to let it be a joint purchase. So, despite it being an amazing week, I look back and am sad because I know that it will be my last week up there. My mom spent most of her summers up there growing up, so it is especially sad that she won't be able to spend her future vacations there. Anyway, enough of the sadness, here are some fun photos of our trip up north!

Waiting for the parade to start. Every year there is a 4th of July parade in Big Bay put on by the kids at the special needs camp in Big Bay. It is so exciting for the kids, and basically all of Big Bay comes out for it (all 500 residents).

This is my lounging on my raft in Lake Independence. It was SO relaxing!!

Riding the jet ski!

Jet ski!

Me, my mom, and my sister standing on the shore of Lake Superior. It was gorgeous!

This time with my aunt Julia! Funny that my mom and her sister are wearing blue and my sister and I are wearing black!

We celebrated our last night by going out to a Cajun restaurant in Marquette. The food was great!

On the way back, we decided to go on a boat trip on Lake Superior to look at some sunken ships! We had great seats on the front of the boat on the upper deck!

Me on the front of the boat... what a beautiful day!

Good Bye, beautiful Northern Michigan!

No comments:

Post a Comment