Monday, November 7, 2011

November Gratitudes - Day 7 (University of Michigan)

Today I am grateful that I am a Wolverine. When it came time to decide on a college, I had narrowed my options to 5 schools: Butler University, Hillsdale College, Valparaiso University, Eastern Michigan University, and the University of Michigan. Most people are surprised to hear that I initially decided on Valparaiso, but changed my mind at the last minute to the University of Michigan. I had decided on Valpo for a couple of reasons: their pre-law/law program, the fact that I could have joined the swim team, and that it was a mid-sized college; plus, there was that whole pesky question of how I would pay for UM when Valpo had given me some really great scholarships. When my UM financial offer came in, though, and after I had made a campus visit to Ann Arbor, I knew that UM was for me. Honestly, it's one of the best decisions I ever could have made. I made great friends, discovered my passions, studied abroad, worked with a research scholar, and attended UM football games. ;-) (we know how important football is to me!) Ultimately, I discovered who I was in Ann Arbor. I started college a shy, quiet girl from a small city and emerged full of confidence and with an education - both in and out of the classroom - that I can't imagine myself having found anywhere else. Yep, I am super grateful to be a Wolverine!

This is my college buddy Wilhelmina and I at UM game several years after we graduated, it was so much fun being back in the student section!

No comments:

Post a Comment